Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sherlock Holmes...


SHERLOCK HOLMES
My first, post-Avatar movie for 2010!
I was never that much of a fan of director Guy Ritchie. So when I heard that he was helming a new version of Sherlock Holmes (I actually heard that there was going to be two versions : one Holmes will be the usual, thinking sleuth, while the other was going to be more action-oriented; Ritchie got to do the latter project), I was a bit apprehensive. For some reason, when I think of Guy Ritchie, I think of gangster movies (truth to be told, I haven't seen any of his films except for RocknRolla), and the idea of him doing a more, shall we say, commercial movie wasn't sitting all that well for me in my head. But, I have to say, Sherlock Holmes is a pretty terrific thrill ride!
I've not read any Sherlock Holmes books, so I'm not quite familiar with the character. Other than the fact that he is "the world's greatest detective". Now I may not be knowledgeable with Holmes or any of the characters that reside in his world, but I do know that he was never really regarded as the action hero type. That's why I was surprised with this particular treatment of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's super sleuth. Pleasantly surprised that is. I guess credit should really go to Robert Downey, Jr., who manages to balance and portray Holmes as a very skilled fighter, as well as a near self-destructive and brilliant individual rather perfectly!
The chemistry between Downey, Jr. and Jude Law (who plays Holmes' right-hand man, Watson), as well as the lovely Rachel McAdams (Irene Adler, the only woman who has managed to bewitch and outwit Holmes -- does she exist in the Holmes books?) is apparent on the big screen. And, of course, the movie also features one of my favorite actors (the main reason why I actually wanted to see Sherlock Holmes), Mark Strong.
The biggest surprise for me about the movie? To find out that it was geared as a "franchise type of a movie". So, maybe in the sequel, we'll find out if the identity of the actor who plays Holmes' nemesis, Professor Moriarty, will be revealed. I thoroughly enjoyed Sherlock Holmes and can't wait for the next installment.
A

No comments: